Buy on itch.io
Buy MidBoss now on itch.io
. When the game becomes available on Steam
you will get a key for that as well. To gift a copy of the game, visit itch.io
and purchase the game from there.
Please visit itch.io to purchase the game.
Wishlist on Steam
Please visit Steam to wishlist the game.
The current MidBoss version is 1.0.12(changelog), released on Tuesday, May 23, 2017. Worried you'll miss an update? Don't be! The game will notify you automatically when a new version is available. Not enough information for you? Then follow @KitsuneGamesCom on Twitter or sign up to our newsletter to be notified when the game is updated.
Download this 1080p MidBoss wallpaper.
MidBoss is a video game about possessing your defeated enemies in order to become stronger. You play the weakest of the dungeon denizens, an imp with no ability other than possessing other creatures. Your goal is to defeat and possess increasingly stronger creatures, unlocking their abilities for yourself and becoming stronger as you go along, and eventually defeat and become the dungeon's ultimate endboss.
The game is currently in beta and only available on Windows, that means certain features are as of yet not implemented. We have however tried our best to give you a smooth, bugless experience. Support for Linux and OSX will be added in the near future.
A press kit is available at kitsunegames.com.
- Possess your enemy and gain their strengths and skills
- An absolute mess of abilities. We've got your passives, your actives, and your innates! There are over 60 unique abilities to discover and learn.
- Lots of equipment to find, seven types of weapons, shields, armor, boots, and accessories in 6 different rarity flavors!
- Randomized potions every game. Who knows what's in these mystery bottles! (optional)
- Dynamic music system that ups the musical excitement when enemies are about.
- Quick Play mode for shorter, more condensed play sessions.
- Custom Game mode that allows you to play the game the way you want to.
- Share your crushing defeats with your friends through the use of death cards, images which contain embedded data which lets players load the card in their game, inspect your run's stats, and replay it using the same seed and settings.
- Spend death cards to start your next run with items you had when you died.
- Beat the game and get a special card which unlocks a new game+ mode. Start over with your items, abilities, or both!
- Cratefish as a currency!
- Traps as well as unidentified and cursed items.
- Trade with and sell unwanted items to a mysterious merchant.
- Single-file save and resume, you don't even have to click any buttons for your game to save, it's all taken care of.
- Permanent death, if you die your save is gone! An unforgiving roguelike, just the way we like it. (save-scumming is available)
- Like tooltips? We've got tooltips for everything! All the information you need at your fingertips.
- Lots of crates, chests, and other containers to pillage. Find the royal chest that spawns on every floor for extra sweet loot!
- Playable with either mouse and/or keyboard. Pick whatever control scheme you like!
- Line of sight and fog of war systems, and none of that cone of sight stuff. We assume you can look over your shoulder.
- Full options menu including key rebinding, resolution options, and more! (FoV slider coming soon)
- Miss the good old days? Got some nostalgia for those eye-bleeding CGA cyans and magentas? Miss the old Gameboy days, or were you more of a C64 fan? There's 12 retro mode filters available in the options menu, and more coming in the future!
(Kitsune Games is not responsible for any loss of vision, bleeding of the eyes, or other personal injury caused by playing with the CGA mode filter active)
- Mac and Linux support available on launch day.
Initially MidBoss was developed over the course of three days for Ludum Dare #25, designed around the theme 'You Are the Villain'. People thought it was fun, and so afterwards it was cleaned up and developed further and released in March 2013.
The current version of MidBoss is a complete, from the ground up overhaul of the old game - MidBoss Classic (still available to download and play) with new graphics, better interface, more abilities, more information, and a generally massively improved experience.